Re: GSR

>Thanks for your comments Matt, but thats not always conveniant, what
>happened to our intergrated passenger network?

>We once could walk into any railway station anywhere in this country and buy
>a rail ticket to anywhere, I (whilst I don't like it) understand that we had
>to have cut backs in the way stations are manned, but never the less we
>should not have suffered any loss of service due to privatisation. These
>people where supposed to make the rail industry more cost efficient.
>Privatisation hasn't improved the service, the Overland is a disgrace, the
>cars are filthy, (not surface filth) the seats are stained. The on train
>staff are the only saving grace, they provide a good curtious service with
>little backup from Serco who seem to have no interest in the train or its
>passengers.

>With regards to the crew change, the Conductors change at Murtoa Loop, but
>the National Rail Loco crews change at Dimboola.

>With regards to the Ghan, if you want to go to Port Augusta or Alice Springs
>its not much point catching the Daylink. Whilst I understand that the Ghan
>is a new service it really is a replacement for the Wednesday Overland out
>of Melbourne, and quite a few people board the Overland at intermediate
>stations, on the morning (3.30am) I put my son on the train, 5 people
>alighted and 4 boarded the train at Dimboola. If you read my mail properly
>you would have noted I did not suggest that GSR employ anyone to sell
>tickets at Dimboola, V/Line used two local agents as ticketing point, they
>just got paid a commission.

>I still consider that GSR and its owning company (Serco) to be a shabby
>operator of our Interstate Passenger Trains

>Bob.

Bob , whilst I completely sympathise with your plight, you are blaming the
wrong crowd.
The situation is that we dont have any Interstate passenger trains any more .
They are GSRs trains and as a private company who are in the business to make
a profit,(not to provide public transport) ,then they are entitled to run
their trains as they see fit ,which unfortunately means stopping when and
where they like and picking up passengers where and when they like.
The real culprits are the Federal Govt for selling AN in the first place and
to a lesser extent the State Govts of Vic & SA for failing to provide any
alternative services .

If the Govts of Vic or SA want GSR to provide a public transport service to
country VIC & SA then they must pay them to do so,which currently they do not.

cheers
MD