Re: Dusty Durrant Passes Away

I was sorry to hear of A E (Dusty) Durrant's passing.
I met Dusty and his wife Christine in Jo'burg in 1976 when steam was at the
start of its decline in South Africa.
Dusty was infuriated that steam was being replaced by the dreaded diseaseal
at a time when fuel was costly and coal was plentiful. The main reason
really was a decline in personnel who wanted to work on steam. At this time
the SAR were hellbent on buying GE & GM locos in great numbers and the other
factor in the equation at this time was the massive electrification program
in place which of course cascaded diesel locos on to steam lines much to
Dusty's disgust.
Dusty emigrated to South Africa in 1967 for the very good reason that steam
in his native Britain.His parochialism where steam was concerned was second
to none.
He commenced an apprenticeship on Great Western Railways at Swindon in 1945
and was professionally involved in the design, construction, testing and
repair of locomotives.He qualified as a mechanical engineer. His pursuit of
steam locomotives saw him travel to over 50 countries.
He has published 12 books, some in conjunction with others including the
fabulous 'The Great Steam Trek'. He was a regular contributor to several
magazines and for eight years was the Chairman of the Railway Society of
Southern Africa.
His passing will be a loss to the railfan ( in particular Steam) fraternity
and I extend sympathies to his widow, Christine.

Noel Forster