Re: Steam and Olympic Park

In article <1Rcj3.7399$yD2.17461@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>,
Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST) <ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote:
>I was on a public special from Hornsby to Sydney Central via North Sydney,
>with a 46 class electric loco leading a steam loco (5910?) on 1990-03-18. I
>still have to decide if this could be considered to be a (partly)
>steam-hauled train all the way, as the steam loco would have been
>effectively running "dead attached" from about Argyle Street.

 Ive done that before as well. However the steam engine has to stay 'in
steam' to allow the cylinders to be lubricated properly. A 'dead attached'
steam engine has to have the rods disconnected. :-)

 The 46 class just takes the load, so the steam engine doesnt need to be
stoked and throw up lots of ash, but the driver is still applying a small
amount of steam to the cylinders. They couldnt stay underground to long before
the fireman would have to add some coal and make soot.

 The main issue with Olympic Park loop is probably the fire suppression
system. The fire system will probably go off with the amount of sootly smoke
a steamer under load will put out.

 I can just imagine 3801 and its train buried under a large pile of white
fire redardant foam. :-)