Re: XPT Sleepers

Matt Lucas wrote in message <7mh2t4$qbv$1@perki.connect.com.au>...
>I travel often between Melb- Syd, and Syd - Bne or Murwillumbah - Syd in
the
>XPT Sleepers.  1 of the main problems with these is the lack of "roomette"
>(single) sleepers.   Each train has 9 rooms, 18 beds, but all in twinettes.
>To travel on the train in my own berth, as I do not want to share a room
>with a lot of people who I have seen on that train (no offence) -
especially
>when the PSS walks through the train telling me to lock to door as people,
>and I quote "May have been injecting up in the toilets at Spencer St, and
>may wander in".  This gives me only the option of paying for 2 berts, and
>being a rail fan I have often done this,

There is an easier way - but don't tell anyone!

Book both berths for you and "a friend" - make up a name. Then, when you go
to ticket, tell them you only wish to pay for yours, and your "friend" will
pay for his layer. The computer will issue a ticket for you only. BUT the
booking will now show as being ticketed, and the OTHER booking will not
auto-cancel. It will not be rebooked either.

Of course, you ARE subject to the berth being resold on the train, but this
rarely happens.

As for the roomettes, I am surprised that this did not happen - they would
have been able to get 17 roomette compartments into that carriage shell
(assuming they kept space for combined shower/toilet at the end of the car).
In day mode, this would have seated 34 passengers (2 per compartment) 5 more
than at present, although it would have slept one less - but then, with
roomettes, they can always sell them all. I remember once where there were
two sleepers left - but in different compartments - one of the compartments
was occupied by a female, the other by a male. A couple wanted sleepers, and
were unwilling to travel seperately in shared compartments. Those two
sleepers went unsold. This would not be a problem with roomettes.

>move but on more than 1 occsion people have refused, leaving the PSS
>poewerless and me standing at Sydney Terminal at 8:40pm, after the last
>flight with a very difficult decision - pay for a hotel, share or sit up-
>Not good enough CountryLink.

Ummm - the last flight from Sydney to Melbourne is at 2230 - heaps of time
to get out to the airport.

>Why not have car A as Twinettes, Car B as First Class Seats, remove the
crew
>compartment from car C- There is already 1 in Car A, and make it Single
>sleepers then have 1/2 of car D as First, then a wall, and the other 1/2 as
>econ.

Ok - several major problems here. The sleepers currently are rarely fully
booked. You are suggesting expenditure of millions of dollars to satisfy a
few people. It won't happen.

Secondly, why have a sitting car between the sleepers?

Thirdly, the buffet is located in the middle of first class - economy
passengers would have to walk through first class to get to it.

>then if more seats are required, use some of the luggage space in
>Car G for econ and relocate baggage around the train- Ie. Doorway
>compartments as in Car A, or possible in the Power Cars- not sure if any
>room is avalible, or make 1 door per car as GSR do and use the extra space
>for luggage.

I have already suggested this, although more as a way to get extra seats in.

DaveP