Re: QR 2172E loco

David Bromage <dbromage@omni.com.au> wrote in message

> Can somebody please provide a list of all the suffixes? The only one I
know
> is D for driver only (I think that's what it means).
>
> Cheers
> David

OK here it goes (and be patient !!!).

The following modifications are for 90 tonne diesels (1550, 2400 class
loco's). These loco's can be used on any 'S' or 'A' class line without
restriction. Loco's with a 'D' suffix have been converted for Driver Only
Operation. Modifications include low nose, larger windshields and the No.2
driving station removed. Some have been further modified by having the No.2
driving station reinstalled for shunting purposes. These loco's have an 'H'
suffix.

The following modifications are for 97 tonne diesels (2100 class loco's).
These loco's can only be used on 'S' class lines. To make them available for
use on 'A' class lines, several were weight reduced. This was done by
removing the buffers and transition couplers, removing the No.2 fuel tank
and limiting the sand capacity. These loco's have an 'A' suffix.

Many 21??A locomotives were modified for DOO operation as shown above and
given a 'D' suffix. After a while, it was realised that using only one fuel
tank was restrictive and another smaller No.2 tank could be fitted without
making the loco overweight. This was done and an 'F' suffix was applied.

Summary.
90t DEL - D = Driver Only Operated conversion.
                  H = Driver Only Operated conversion and No.2 driving
station installed.

97t DEL - A = Weight reduced
                  D = Weight reduced and DOO converted.
                  F = Weight reduced, DOO converted with extra fuel tank.

Many years ago, some loco's had the No.2 driving station removed without
weight reduction or DOO conversion. These had an 'S' suffix but none are
left today.

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane, QLD.