Re: 150 years of rail in Aust. - Flying Scotsman

Steven Hurst wrote:

> Robert's posting about the Flying Scotsman reminded me of its journey down
> under.  Since (If I calculate correctly) the year 2004 will mark 150 years
> of the "Iron Horse" in Australia (notice I say Iron Horse to cover my
> backside - if I said rail I might spark off the old argument of what
> constitutes a railway!!!!) as the first train was September 12 1854???

There was some suggestion about bringing over one of the other A4s
(Union of South Africa?) disguised as the late Commonwealth of Australia.

The thing about 2004 is it would be a purely Victorian event. You couldn't
get a steam loco anywhere near Port Melbourne, except on the back of a truck.

A more productive target of our efforts should be AusSteam 2001 for the
centenary of Federation. If there is to be such an event, planning will
have
to start now.

Cheers
David