Re: Booked out Melb XPTs

In article <tBPi3.11$fX5.279490@news0.optus.net.au> "WhaleOilBeefHooked" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> writes:
>From: "WhaleOilBeefHooked" <daproc@spambait.umpires.com>
>Subject: Re: Booked out Melb XPTs
>Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:03:53 GMT

>Maurie Daly wrote in message ...

>>Capacity of 7 car XPT is 40 seats per car average for 7 cars allowing
>>for slightly less in buffet car gives 280 seats.

>Capacity of XPT:

>XAM 18/27, XL 56, XBR 27, XF/XB 68, XFH 52 - total capacity of a seven car
>XPT - 357 in overnight mode, 366 in dayl mode.

>>So for this train to break even it needs to be run at a minimum of 47%
>>capacity for passengers travelling all the way , more if passengers travel
>>part way.
>>If the train has a lot of concession fares then we need 95% capacity.

>Given the actual capacity of the train is higher than you suggested, the
>load factors required for break even subsequently lower, and based on your
>figures, a full train would make a profit.

>DaveP

Yes thats right,a full train would make a profit.
The problem is how many XPTs are full?
I havnt a clue and would suggest that the loading varies
thruout the year and thruout the week .
The problem is that the fixed XPT consist doesnt easily cater for
variable loadings.
Operators like GSR can wind up and down the length of their trains
quite easily to suit the demand ,and can also just as easily decide not
to run trains at all or not to stop at unprofitable stations.
Countrylink dont have any of this sort of flexibility.

The real problem though is as I think you mentioned the fare structures and
the high levels of concessional fare travelling passengers.
If we compare the normal economy non concessional fare between Melb & Sydney
of $96 with the bus fare of around $35 - $40 then the train doesnt come close.
People who cant afford to fly and who dont qualify for a concessional fare
will go by bus,not that I have any love for busses but most commuters who arnt
rail fans dont give a stuff how they travel,its all based on cost and time.

The problem with the whole issue is the concessional fare regime.
The airlines and private bus companys dont have to cater for concessional
fare passengers so Govt Railways are disadvantaged .

A better scheme would be to abandon all concessions so that people were free
to travel how they wanted as long as they paid the full fare and then provide
a rebate of some percentage of the full fare to the concessional holders.
This way you would get a more even spread of concessional travellers
travelling by air,rail & bus and would even out the disadvantages rail is
under.
The other option is to allow Countrylink to operate as if it were a private
company,ie allow it to make borrowings to improve its rollingstock and not to
dictate where it has to run its trains or what sort of trains it has to run.
This way you could see XPTs running Sydney - Adelaide and more XPTs running
Sydney - Brisbane , ie the trains would run where it was profitable to do so ,
not where the pollies wanted.

I havnt heard any Govt Transport Ministers jumping up and down at GSRs plans
to cut out a heap of stations in Vic & SA.

cheers
MD