Re: Booked out Melb XPTs

Maurie Daly wrote in message ...

>Capacity of 7 car XPT is 40 seats per car average for 7 cars allowing
>for slightly less in buffet car gives 280 seats.

Capacity of XPT:

XAM 18/27, XL 56, XBR 27, XF/XB 68, XFH 52 - total capacity of a seven car
XPT - 357 in overnight mode, 366 in dayl mode.

>So for this train to break even it needs to be run at a minimum of 47%
>capacity for passengers travelling all the way , more if passengers travel
>part way.
>If the train has a lot of concession fares then we need 95% capacity.

Given the actual capacity of the train is higher than you suggested, the
load factors required for break even subsequently lower, and based on your
figures, a full train would make a profit.

DaveP