Re: Booked out Melb XPTs

Jennifer Richmond wrote:
> Would it be possible, to run an extra service overnight, between Sydney
> and Melb? I know that there aren't enough XPT sets, but how about a loco
> hauled train? Possibly a loco hauled train leaving 2 hours earlier than
> the XPT, stopping at every stop (possibly even Sunshine and Seymour)
> with the XPT following stopping only Albury, Wagga Wagga, Junee,
> Cootamundra, Goulburn and Strathfield? This would give extra seats to
> the service, give the passengers on the XPTs a good express run (after
> all, they are an eXpress Passenger Train!) and keep up the service to
> the smaller country towns at the same time.

Try it the other way. Run the loco hauled train semi-express (remember
the Southern Aurora took 13 hours with only 3 stops) and keep the XPT
on its current schedule.

> These services would then
> arrive in Sydney at about the same time, to connect with the
> Murwillumbah XPT.

A loco hauled train to connect with the Murwillumbah XPT would have to
leave Melbourne at approximately 5.45pm. The biggest problem is that
Countrylink doesn't have any rollingstock for such a train.

> Or, alternatively, is there room for competition? Could GSR start up a
> Melbourne - Sydney overnight service?

Yes, but they'd run it as a hotel on wheels aimed at the tourist market.

The biggest problem of all would be getting a path.

Cheers
David