Melbourne tramway overhead

Anyone know why the curves on the route 70 diversion are set out for
trolley-pole use, including the use of multiple galvanized span wires with
egg insulators rather than far fewer Kevlar ones? (I understand the steel
rope is used because the Kevlar is too weak to resist a dewired
trolleypole's upward fling - I know it is too weak because I have a broken
piece of the stuff in my "souvenir" collection from just such an incident
which I happened to witness.)

It appears that, apart from the ex-railway "light rail" lines, no decision
has been made to limit new construction to pantograph-only use. I heard a
rumour some time ago that the amount of the network available to pole cars
would be severely restricted. This policy appears to have changed.

--
Rgds

Ron BESDANSKY (formerly Ron BEST)