Re: Tonight's Railway Adventures episode

David Bromage wrote in message <37828510.B131BBF@omni.com.au>...
>WhaleOilBeefHooked wrote:
>> Nobody said we were perfect - many of us have driven trains, when we are
not
>> qualified drivers. But we have not done so on national television, for
all
>> the world (and more importantly, the rail operators) to see.
>
>There are provisions in most rulebooks for unqualified people to drive
>under supervision or instruction.
>
>Cheers
>David

Thank you Mr Bromage for some sanity in this whole saga.  I wonder if it was
the Victorian Premier at the controls, would the bureaucracy be so swift in
their knee-jerk reaction?  Would they even have a job come Monday morning?

Do they realise that with modern computer generated video editing, that
persons can be inserted or removed from a scene?  I don't think the
producers of the Series would want to have a driver standing behind Scott
McGregor, distracting from the story line, so they remove his image when it
comes into camera.

I have also an interest in Aviation and keep tapes from the TV on such.  One
such tape was of 60 minutes in 1986 with Ian Leslie in an FA18A.  Whilst it
was airborne, the pilot asked Mr Leslie to take the joy stick in front of
him, then the pilot let go of his, and said "Ian you are now flying the
aircraft"!  and asked him just to move it gently.  Even if Ian Leslie was
only in control for 30 seconds this would have far greater danger than a TV
presenter at the controls of an old DERM.
Now whether this was an illusion or not, the viewing Public had the
perception of Ian Leslie flying a jet fighter aircraft.

Well I never heard the RAAF trying to distance itself from this, nor it
stipulating that the media could only film in in the future in aircraft
where there was room to add a Chief Flying Instructor in the cockpit.
There have been many similiar stories on TV over the past 13 years.

Regards, GF.
NB: Opinions expressed are solely my own, and not on any persons behalf.