Re: UK Train Crash Manslaughter Case fails

David & Sharon wrote in message ...
>Hi Guys,
>
>I watched the report of this story on the BBC1 news and after seeing the
>footage of the driver leaving court I was outraged that the family of those
>killed were outraged. I don't know what they wanted, other than a life for
>life? Seeing the poor pathetic, emotionally destroyed driver who has been
>sentenced to a life without a life and a life without the possibility of
>ever working again is enough punishment for anybody.
>
>DavidR

OK, I might have a bit of sympathy for the driver - his moment of
inattention caused loss of life and he has to bear that on his conscience
for the rest of his life.  But what about the TOC which has got off the
hook - it proivided a faulty train, the old GWR virtually invented AWC
equipment in 1906 in the much slower steam era, and here they put all the
responsibility on one man in the cab of a high speed train without the
backup of safety equipment, at the least they could have provided a second
driver as a second pair of eyes!!  It's fundamental nowadays in railway
operation to have some sort of vigilance control for one-person operation.

David Bennetts