Re: Some qld News

Colin Weaver <colingw@my-deja.com> wrote in message
7lrhpe$vi4$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:7lrhpe$vi4$1@nnrp1.deja.com...

>>.....electrification is to be carried out beyond Rosewood.

> A few questions ...
>
> How far beyond Rosewood?  And, what timescale?

That I cannot answer. A contact at QR's Overhead Line Depot told me that
there were plans afoot to electrify beyond Rosewood. That is all I know at
this stage.

>The Cooper
> Government announced electrification to Toowoomba

Never heard that one.

>(and
> Townsville) in 1989, and nothing happened,

One of the reasons that electrification never extended beyond Rocky is that
the idea of hanging 25,000V wires over Denison Street is not exactly
appealing. Finding an alternate place to cross the river has been a
challenge too. Apparently, an idea to run the line down Stanley St then
across the river to rejoin near Nth Rocky was scrapped due to soil testers
being unable to find a solid river bed for bridge foundations. Then a route
from Gracemere behind Rocky to Parkhurst was also scrapped due to similar
soil test results. It seems hands are tied at the moment.

, and of course
> the lack of clearance through the (Little Liverpool Range) tunnels?

Word is they will eventually be "open aired".

--
Matt Smith
Brisbane, QLD

I never seem to finish anyth