Re: R711 trip to St. Arnaud on 4th July

G'day,

Notagunzel wrote:

> Roderick Smith wrote:
>
> > * significant delays waiting for manual train orders at several stations,
> > as section-authority working was not working.

I worked it out at 118mins stationary acc. safeworking.  That doesn't include
time for  slowing down and starting again (compared to running through locations
at up to 100km/h).

A couple of other delays were passengers who failed to use their grey matter and
held the show up for a few mins here and there.

> This was aggregated on the Up at
> the Block Points between Ballarat & Nth Geelong, because the train can't
> relinquish the rear authority until it has passed the block point, and
> can't pass the block point until a forward authority is held, thus
> meaning a stop at each location.

I think the runaround at Sutherland Loop was a similar example - this move took
30 mins.  They'd have needed an authority to go beyond the down end points...then
another to come back...etc

> One notable point was the train was actually a WCR train, VLP wasn't
> involved at all.  Conductor Haber actually worked the full shift
> himself, & only 2 sets of steam crew were used.

T'was very hard work, but a good day, and well worthwhile.  The run up Ingliston
Bank was just sensational.  A couple of slips between up towards the armco pipe
didn't help, but didn't she roar up there!!  I've got all the times if anybody
wants them.

Cheers,
CH.
--