Michael Walker wrote:

> >>Melton
> >>Langwarrin
> >>Coldstream
> >>South Morang  etc etc
> >>
> >Whittlesea
> >Stony Point
> >Craigeburn
> >
> Never saw Whittlesea on a roll. I believe that Stony Point was used at some
> stage (or was it Frankston-Stony Point?) to indicate services which
> connected with Stony Point trains (much like H'ville-W'bton on Harris trains
> or something vaguely similar anyway - obviously designed to indicate
> connecting trains - one train can't go to both!)

Destinations like Stony Point and Stony Point-Mornington, also Hville & Wbton as
well as the separate destinations, were displayed by trains which were known as
E trains. These were country carriage trains that were hauled by electric motors
in the electrified areas. At the end of the wires steam was substituted for the
electrics. In the case of the Lilydale electrics, the two dog box motors
sometimes then worked local shuttles to Croydon and Ringwood. In later years a
special makeup of 2 dog box motors and a 4 car tait unit worked the 1.6pm down
Lilydale and returned on the 8.11am up next morning. The 2 cars worked shuttles
during the evening whilst the 4 car unit was stabled. This was a left over from
the through Healesville and Warburton trains prior to the arrival of 153hp
Walker RCs. After the cessation of the through trains the Lilydale service
retained some unusual trains for many years until service overhauls in the
1970's removed them all. In 1963 the 8.25am down Lilydale (formerly a
Healesville connection) was an ON subn at Flinders Street. The 6.8pm on Sat
evening was probably the last of these trains to survive running express
Richmond-Box Hill-Ringwood. On Sunday the Healesville and Warburton train was a
through combined train - 2 car sets and 2 T classes. It was notable that the T
classes for many many years were consecutively numbered. They divided at
Lilydale during the refresh stop but on the up ran as separate trains.
Eventually they were replaced by the railmotors connecting with subns.

David.