Re: Ringwood

David Langley wrote:

> Sorry Tony I've been away for a day or two but Mr G has it in a nutshell. I
> believe that Pin Point Detectors are used to ensure a definite end of the
> jointless track circuit at level crossings. It would not be handy for the standard
> relatively coarse junction between track circuits to exist at level crossings
> because it would give rise to erratic operation of the booms etc.

An 'Electric Joint' is allegedly accurate to around 1 metre.  A Data
Collector, which is a Matching Unit placed directly across the rails,
can be used as an additional intermediate Track Relay, but the cutoff
can be up to 50m beyond the track leads.  From personal observation, I
don't believe they are used in Victoria in practice.

--
Mr Notagunzel.
Trying to avoid the Gunzels.