Re: Passengers say the darndest things!

G'day,

Matthew Smith wrote:

> Sounds like a show Bill Cosby could host. I was a relief porter for the
> first 8 years in the Railways and I was subject to some of the craziest
> questions from passengers.

Too right, working with the public can be a real experience!

Prior to commencing a ticket check, my usual PA accouncement includes "all
passengers, beginning from the front/rear (depends on which way we're going) of
the train, please have your rail tickets ready for inspection".  Quite often I
walk into the ACZ carriage and am asked "Is this the front/rear of the train?"
"Which end is the front?" is probably the most asked question I get!

Day tour passengers arrive from Melbourne into Warrnambool, and return that
night.  Their usual 2 questions while waiting on the platform at Warrnambool are
"which platform does the train go from?" (there is only one), and "we came in
from that way (pointing towards Melbourne)...which way does the train home go?"

Another conny reports that while departing Spencer St platform 7 one morning, a
passenger jumped off and fell over on the platform.  After red-lighting the
train and checking she was ok, he asked "why did you jump off?"  "Because the
train's going the wrong way - Warrnambool's THAT way!"  (pointing towards
concrete block at the other end!)

Cheers,
Craig.
--