Re: Dr Beeching

Clive D.W. Feather <clive@on-the-train.demon.co.uk> wrote

>However ...
>
>Consider a station such as Sunshine-on-Sea at the end of a branch line.
>The town is a major holiday resort and the branch is operated at
>capacity on summer Saturdays. Beeching accounting:
>
>200,000 return tickets London to S-o-S credited to London stations
>3 annual S-o-S seasons credited to Sunshine-on-Sea

>Result: the branch makes a thumping great loss and is closed. 200,000
>holidaymakers drive in future.

  I understand that the Conway Valley line survived despite being
earmarked for closure when they managed to prove the accounting wrong.
For example, all the people buying tickets on the North Wales Coast were
accounted to the North Wales Coast - and far more Rhyl-Betws ticjets
were being sold than Betws-Rhyl.

--
David Stevenson                    Wirral, Merseyside, UK
                                 <rail@blakjak.demon.co.uk>