Re: Dr Beeching

Daryl - I have cross-posted this to uk.railway - they will be able to answer
you better - I know a good deal of the history, but not all of it, and the
readers of that newsgroup will have a far closer view of it, as well as
being able to inject a bit of emotion and politics into the answer.

Suffiuce to say that Dr. Beeching, although despised at the time for closing
a lot of railway lines, was probably the saviour of the railways in the
United Kingdon, in that if those lines had NOT closed, the railways would
have lost far more money than they did, and the closures eventually would
have been greater!

Dave Proctor