Re: Very smoky XPT

Reuben Farrelly wrote in message <76t0r5$omg$1@eplet.mira.net.au>...
>Is it just my imagination or are the XPT units extremely smoky for their
>size?  Tonights XPT from Melbourne virtually pumped out pure soot on
>acceleration at departure, at least from the front unit...

Most of the XPT's are like that, particularly after extended periods of
idling - I think the front unit would have been wose, as it would have been
the one that was not shut down during the stay at Spencer S.

>Is this because of:
>* lack of maintenance/worn engines
>* design
>* other factors such as high idle load

Probably due to the fact that the Paxman Valenta was never really designed
for use as a railway engine - it was designed for use as a maritime engine.
I believe that the British HST's are the same (although it has been a few
years since I have been to the UK!)

>I've never seen a V/line loco even half as bad as the XPT units.  Wouldn't
>it drop the fuel efficiency to have so much raw fuel being blown out the
>exhaust?

The thing with other locomotives is that they use engines which were
designed for the railway environemtn - occasional extended periods of
idling - the XPT engines were not!

DaveP
http://derek.jenkins.net/ozemail/index.html
(Cross posted to uk.railway, for their info!)