Re: The Non level playing field becomes even less level.

Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in message
>Article from Rail Directions.
>Australian Transport Ministers have just agreed to allow an increase in
>maximum weight limit for heavy trucks from 42.5 to 44.5 tonnes.
>Apparently trucks today are more road friendly ,(whatever that means).

That probably means that although trucks are a destructive and aggravating
annoyance on the road, it's less so than before (ignore that rail is pretty
much completely "road friendly" ;)

>The estimated cost of strengthening road bridges around the country to cope
>with the increased mass limits is $1 Billion , of which none will be paid
for
>by the Trucking Industry.
>The poor mug motorist will be obliged to fund these improvements out of
petrol
>excise.

Well we're paying for it also out of our Diesel tax that our locos use...
Imagine spending 1billion on rail line upgrading, and who would benefit from
it all (it'd help get trucks off the road for starters which would benefit
everyone!)

Reuben