Re: 3801 Ltd new "gin"

'Twas a dark and stormy night on Sun, 03 Jan 1999 21:02:42 +1100 as Robert
Harris <bob@fastlink.com.au> took time out from the neverending quest to rid the
world of grues and wrote:

> I had a few hours of during my shift the other day at ACDEP.
> I came across 3801 LTD's new water gin which was  an oil tanker by the
> look of it.
> Thinking back to shunting school a question formed: Liquid tankers must
> only be moved if they are totally full or totally empty or by special
> order from some officer.( I forget the title)
>
> I thought that the purpose of a water gin was to fill the tender of an
> engine as it goes along its journey i.e. train goes to a point, tender
> becomes 3/4 full for example, the gin fills the tender, train goes
> further, refill so on and so on.
>
> How can this new gin be used this way if it is basically a tanker? Are
> there mods to the original design?

Perhaps it has been divided into half a dozen or more compartments?  Or fitted
with baffles to stop the water sloshing from side to side?

Catchya

   http://www.ozemail.com.au/~kingpin1