Re: V/Line Pass Locomotives

In article <36d671f2.21718779@news.netconnect.com.au> krel4203@netconnect.com.au (Krel ) writes:
>From: krel4203@netconnect.com.au (Krel )
>Subject: Re: V/Line Pass Locomotives
>Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:14:28 GMT

>>>You might well ask what ASR are doing with CLP's.
>>
>>Well when ASR initially bought AN , the CLPs were hauling the Overland plus
>>the IP and the Ghan , so the HEP was needed.
>>Also there wasnt a choice, ASR got the locos that NR didnt want , or were not
>>offered.
>>The Ps were initially bought with HEP ,specifically for hauling Vline pass
>>trains that needed HEP.
>>It would seem to me more logical to give all the Ps to VLP , and give some of
>>the As, which dont have HEP , and therefore need power cars to VLF.
>>
>P class = 100 km/h, 1000hp.
>A class = 115km/h, 2500hp.

>A P couldn't maintain an A class timetable.

The obvious question here is just why are Ps , and for that matter series 2 &
3 Ts, Hs and SRA 49s all restricted to 60 MPH.
Its certainly not a restriction of the loco itself which in the case of the
later Ts and 49s which have D29 motors and are geared for 75 MPH running.
I presume that the Ps have even more modern traction motors.
This speed limiting silliness doesnt just affect the GM locos either.
Even the ubiqitous 48 is geared for 75 MPH running and limited to 60 MPH in
NSW only, 48s can do 70 MPH in Victoria.
A P with up to 4 cars (200 tonnes, 5 HP/tonne) and running at 70 MPH would be
able to compete very favourably with an A on most lines , possibly with the
exception of Bendigo.

Maybe the new owners will see the light.

MD