Re: GEs for Victoria?

Rod (berlina@bigpond.com) wrote:
> Economics will still have its inputs. GM still make a cheaper Loco. There
> again they may just close Dynon Maintenance Sheds to heavy overhaul and
> Repairs and contract out to the best bidder.

It was supposedly going to be contracted out to Skilled Engineering
anyway, or possibly even Clyde.

Having said that, I doubt that any new locomotives would be a straight
purchase. More likely it would be a long term service/lease contract, such
as between Goninan and NR. It would be quite easy for Goninan to build new
GE locos for Freight Victoria and maintain them at Spotswood and/or
Bendigo. That way FV only operates then, but doesn't have to maintain them
themselves.

Getting rid of the remaining S, X and A class locos would mean about 20-25
new locos to replace them. If they were built by Clyde, I would expect a
double ended bg version of the Westrail Q class (looking like a Westrail
S). If they were Goninan, maybe a double ended version of the NR.

Cheers
David