Re: GEs for Victoria?

Bob wrote in message <36D22765.ABABFE1A@acay.com.au>...
>With the announcement yesterday that FV was the successful bidder for
>VLF I began to think about what the future may bring. If we consider
>that Gonninans are partners in this venture could it be possible that
>the next new locomotives for Victoria may be GEs? After such a long run
>of GM/Clyde domination in Victoria this would be a big change.
>cheers
>Bob

Yes I expect you are right!
But dont forget it is a consortium, and The Press release says that R. A. is
the senior partner.
Flour Daniel's already have the contract to maintain all Patricks Straddle
Cranes at  Melbourne Wharves, and will probably take charge of Locomotive
Maint. Gonnininans own Bendigo Workshops and will possibly take wagon
maintenance. The old reasons  for sticking to one manufacturer may still
hold. V/Lines small fleet would still require a pretty large inventory of
spare parts, and even larger if several makes were run. Remember a lot of
parts are common to different Clyde Models. Bulk buying of parts attracts
discounts!!
Economics will still have its inputs. GM still make a cheaper Loco. There
again they may just close Dynon Maintenance Sheds to heavy overhaul and
Repairs and contract out to the best bidder.
Rod