Re: QR 4000 class

In article <36d4f871.0@news.bris.corplink.com.au>,
  "MattyQ" <matticue@corplink.com.au> wrote:

> David & Jan Winter wrote in message <36d417b0.0@news.highway1.com.au>...
> >I'm getting out of touch here. In a few words, what are the 2600s and
> >4000s - if I've got it right the 2800s were QRs equivalent of WA's P class
> >(C26-7)?
>
> AFAIK, the QR 4000 clas will be pretty much a Westrail S class in QR livery.
>
> Regards
>
> Matt Smith
> Brisbane, Queensland
> Reply to matticue@hotmail.com

While they will look similar (IIRC), there will be a big difference in the
power becuase the 4000 class uses AC, whereas the S class uses DC ("more bang
for your buck"). In fact, the 4000 class will be the most powerful
narrow-gauge diesel loco in the country (up to 4000 HP). AFAIK, the 4000
class will be used on the Moura and Newlands lines (the latter once the
preserve of the 2600 class), and possibly the Mount Isa line.

More information on the various classes can be found on Locopage at:
www.railpage.org.au/loco/

John

John Cleverdon, B.Ap.Sc.(Cartography)
Amateur astronomer & Railway enthusiast | Essendon - 1999 AFL Premiers
Email: j_cleverdon@hotmail.com
The Locomotive Page: www.railpage.org.au/loco/