Re: Flat locomotive batteries question

In article <7b4env$pv311@atbhp.corpmel.bhp.com.au>, "Chris Stratton" <stratton.chris.cp@bhp.com.au> writes...

>Gareth Davidson wrote in message <36D53303.17403782@pipeline.com.au>...
>>Quick Question

>>Is it possible to tow start a loco?

>>Most loco's now have dinamic braking, why couldn't it be used to power

	The dynamics, need exteranl power to bring them on line, as Gareth
	notes.

>>That's my question for the day!!!

>I would expect that this wouldn't work as the dead loco would still need
>some power to provide field excitation for the traction motors to work
>as generators, and also power to hold in the appropriate contactors.

	Here (US) i believe one common expedient involves a DC Arc Welder...
	I would Assume one could 'jump' one from another lok, just as
	one 'jumps' a car...

thanks
dave pierson                        |the facts, as accurately as i can manage,
Compaq Computer Corporation         |the opinions, my own.
334 South St                        |
Shrewsbury, Mass USA                 pierson@gone.enet.dec.com
"He has read everything, and, to his credit, written nothing."  A J Raffles
"....the net of a million lies...."	Vernor Vinge