Re: What happened?

<McFergus@my-dejanews.com> wrote:

> In article <36c7b377.0@news.bris.corplink.com.au>,
>   "MattyQ" <matticue@corplink.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > London Underground Limited (LUL) has introduced ATP, In-cab signalling AND
> > Automatic Train Operation on the Central line. The train is driven by the
> > computer system and there is no need for wayside signals except in depots.
> > Trouble is, they still have to employ a "Driver"? to operate the doors and
> > "give right away" to the computer. Seems they spent millions of pounds
> > bringing in a system that would eliminate the driver only to keep him there
> > to tell the computer the train was OK to depart. False economy?

They also installed automatic (ticket) barrier gates at all stations,
but found they still needed staff there. False economy? No. They didn't
need as many staff as before, and it almost eliminated fare evasion.

Replacing the driver with a (Docklands style) train captain wouldn't
achieve anything much, partly because the barrier gates reduce the need
for ticket inspection, and partly because it isn't safe to walk between
cars (the end doors are for emergency use only).

Some passengers feel safer if there's a driver, and there is a safety
advantage in having someone who can stop the train if there's an
obstruction on the track.

> The reason behind installing ATO on the Central line was to increase the
> capacity of the line (to a theoretical 33 tph?).

I doubt they'd do all that just to get a pathetic 33tph :-)   Try 40tph.

> AFAIA, lineside signals were still retained, as drivers were to control
> the train outside peak hours to reduce boredom and ensure driving skills
> were maintained. An additional aspect - white - was added to the signals
> to indicate that trains in ATO mode were allowed to enter an occupied
> section, the aspect being required so that drivers weren't confronted with
> the situation of ATO operated tubes sailing through red signals.

I'm surprised they installed an extra light rather than just using red
and green together.

> On the Jubilee Line Extension, a Westinghouse moving block ATO system was
> designed to be installed, however technical related delays have meant that
> traditional signalling is being installed initially, with ATO to be
> retrofitted.

They ordered an expensive system that doesn't work properly when much
better designs are running successfully elsewhere. Does it remind you of
Melbourne?

--
Aidan Stanger
Junk email will be charged at 5 millicoulombs/line.