Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

David Johnson wrote in message <36D13EE9.5A97ADD4@ozemail.com.au>...
>Krel wrote:
>
>> In NSW generally autos are numbered with a 2 or 3 letter code (in the
>> metro only) followed by the distance from sydney in miles and tenths.
>> (EG IL23.5 would be on the Illawarra Local 23.5 miles from Sydney).
>
>The Illawarra Local line is not 23.5 miles long. :-)  During the Hurstville
>re-signalling project, all the Autos between Wolli Creek and Allawah were
given the
>SM prefix.  So, a signal number on the Illawarra Local would be SM nnn IL
(Where
>nnn is the signal number, not related to distance).

Because of the non-serif font used, auto signals on the Illawarra could
appear to the uninitiated to be 100 miles further out than they really are,
e,g. I23.5 !

Are they really putting non-distance-related designations on AUTO signals?
Isn't this a first?

>Some other signal prefixes are S for South Line, N for North Line, EH for
East Hills
>Line, SH for North Shore Line, I for Illawarra Line.

This system is very ambiguous. E.g. S can stand for "suburban" or "south".
It all depends on where you are. At Granville, it stands for both! (BTW,
going by signal designations, the route via Granville is still the "South"
line. Signals on the line via Regent's Park have "LC" (Lidcombe-Cabramatta).

Rgds
Ron BEST