Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

Krel wrote:

> In NSW generally autos are numbered with a 2 or 3 letter code (in the
> metro only) followed by the distance from sydney in miles and tenths.
> (EG IL23.5 would be on the Illawarra Local 23.5 miles from Sydney).

The Illawarra Local line is not 23.5 miles long. :-)  During the Hurstville
re-signalling project, all the Autos between Wolli Creek and Allawah were given the
SM prefix.  So, a signal number on the Illawarra Local would be SM nnn IL  (Where
nnn is the signal number, not related to distance).

Some other signal prefixes are S for South Line, N for North Line, EH for East Hills
Line, SH for North Shore Line, I for Illawarra Line.

--
David Johnson
CityRail Guard