Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

On 22 Feb 1999 08:33:41 GMT, markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote:

><<<<<<Imho In NSW we seem to be leaning towards 2 types of signal.
>Controled and Automatic.>>>>>>
>
>This is analogous to the US system where there are either "absolutes" or
>"permissives"
>
>Identification of them is acheived by the signal having or not having number
>plates.

In Oz most states number both absolutes and permissives.

 In Vic generally Autos (permisssives) are numbered with a 1, 2 or 3
letter prefix for the line and a number which corresponds to the
signals location in hundreds of feet from Flinders street. (EG ES 9974
is on the Essendon Standard gauge (NE) and is 997400 feet from
Flinders Street. Homes are numbered according to the box controlling
them and with CTC they have a station code prefix (EG CLT/2 is the
down home arrival for Chiltern Loop).

In NSW generally autos are numbered with a 2 or 3 letter code (in the
metro only) followed by the distance from sydney in miles and tenths.
(EG IL23.5 would be on the Illawarra Local 23.5 miles from Sydney).
Some autos (EG south of Junee) are numbered for distance in kilometres
and two decimals (EG 505/49 is 505.49km approx from Sydney). Homes are
numbered according to the box. On CTC homes have a station code prefix
(EG 10/4 is an up home at station no.10 - Culcairn on the deep south).

Wouldn't it be fun if they decided to half adopt the US system and
have an A plate on absolutes and an A plate on automatics ;-).

>Just having two types of signals certainly simplifies things but when getting a
>verbal caution order for an abolute it can get vague as there is no definitive
>ID for that signal which you get  if the post has a number.

In NSW (as a general rule) you need a Section Authority form to get
past a Starter or Home/Starter. To get past a Home you need either a
verbal or (in some cases) a green flag at the base of the signal.

Cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.