Re: Ringwood Project - Installation of new points

The frustration of watching Ringwood happen is that it will be built with
the wrong layout, inhibiting future service improvements.  Box Hill and
Blackburn both have useless layouts.

All three should have three running tracks serving two island platforms;
the centre track would have two platform faces.  This allows for convenient
termination of local trains, and for cross-platform interchange in both
directions.

Ringwood is apparently stuck with heritage listings for the down-platform
building (already bowdlerised with 1930s or 1950s additions) and for the
signalbox: a style from the 1920s, of which other examples are preserved.
My proposals would not affect the down-platform building (which could still
serve buses): once the centre track is removed, one island platform could
be provided with only slight sideways relocation of the existing down lien.

--
Regards
Roderick Smith

Iming Chan <chani@translib.com.au> wrote in article