Re: What happened?

David Bradshaw wrote:

> How does the Sydney Monorail operate? I have noticed that the trains do
> have a driver (with an impressive array of controls in front!), however
> the driver appears to only really open and close the doors etc.
>
> I have read that the trains are under computer control, however in a
> monorail crash last year it was stated that a contributing factor was
> the trains being run under manual control at that time.
>
> DB.

I havn't looked at the sydney monorail but i guess it is the same as the
Hotel conrad/oasis centre monorail on the gold coast where a little
joystick type thing controls the doors and the train's speed (e.g.
left/right = doors open/close , forward/backward = train
forward/reverse)
and the various buttons on the panel define specific functions like
which doors open when the open button is pushed, i have a funny feeling
that the extent of "automatic control" is limited to speed which is
controlled by the little knobs on the track which, when say pulling into
a station, slow the train down in preset steps whilst the driver does
not change the throttle control but has the ability to stop if needed to
by just letting go of the throttle control. Not reading anything about
this prang i cant say weather the automatic/manual debate is realivent.
--
I Michael Van Baast       I