Cairns suburban rail??!

I doubt that it will ever happen, but - a Queensland Government press release
has raised the possibility of resurrecting suburban rail between Cairns and
Gordonvale.  I quote:

>There was also a strong call for the reintroduction of a commuter rail
>service between Gordonvale, Edmonton and Cairns, with appropriate links
>to private and public transport services, and the provision of bicycle
>and pedestrian facilities, as well as consideration of indigenous cultural
>landscapes and sites.
>“While it is clearly too early to give definite indications of how we will
>address these issues, the newly-appointed technical consultants, Maunsell
>McIntyre,  will now take the results of the initial stage of public
>consultation to help in the development of  preferred options,” Mr Bredhauer
>said.

"Mr Bredhauer" refers to Stephen Bredhauer - the QLD transport minister -
whose electorate is in Far North Queensland.

This is quite a surprise for those of us who thought that suburban rail on
any part of QR outside the Brisbane area was gone forever.  Just a few years
ago, it would have been impossible for other than a bus based solution to be
raised.

The funny thing is - it seems that nearly all the money being spent on so
called "new" rail infrastructure is actually just replacement of facilities
which were closed during the 1960s - the Lota - Cleveland, Beenleigh - Gold
Coast, Trams in Brisbane. Even the Brisbane Airport line falls in this
category given that there was a station called Airport on the Pinkenba line -
within walking distance of the old terminals.

If this proposal ever results in anything (fat chance!), it may be reasonable
to expect similar moves in Townsville and Rockhampton, both of which
supported suburban services up to the 1960s (Rockhampton even had trams
once).

--Colin Weaver