Re: Details of ROD number plates

In article <36CA26EC.DED915E9@ozemail.com.au>,
  Paul Turtle <pturtle@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a decent picture showing the details and
> (indirectly) the dimensions of the number plates on the ROD steam locos
> that operated in the NSW coalfields.
>
> I've looked through a couple of books and can only find 3/4 type shots
> of the whole loco. What I'm after is maybe a side-on shot of the cab so
> that I can determine size and shape of the plate itself and the shape of
> the numbers. I'm looking at getting some number plates etched in brass
> for the Branchlines ROD HO scale model (email me if you'd be interested
> in some etched plates).
>
> Another thing, the back of the tender also carried a plate. Is it the
> same size / shape as the one on the cab? If not, then I need photos of
> it also.
>
> Regards
> Paul Turtle

The Richmond Vale Railway Museum has a plate off ROD No.21, it is not
currently on display, although arrangements can be made to view it. I also
have some dimensions taken off this plate, although I cannot find the piece
of paper at the moment. The plate mounted on the rear of the tender was the
same size as the cab side plates.

The position of the numberplate does vary slightly from loco to loco, from
just below the cabside hand rail, to above the handrail, to halfway from the
footplate to the handrail (for No.23). Other J & A Brown locos were also
fitted with these plates, No.27 (ex SMR No.2) being one & I have seen a early
1900's photo of No.3 with the same stlye plate, original Nos.1 & 2 had the
same style plate as well.

Regards
Jeff Mullier
Archive Officer