Re: NSW Railworkers: Why you should reject EBA99

Yes, you are absolutely right David, the unions no longer represent us at
all. What is needed is a huge dose of democracy and informed decision making
by the members. This can only come from the ranks.
Unfortunately many members are bought off by the dollar signs$$$ and care
little about the policies contained in agreements.
A few of us are trying to change all that - we need to reclaim the unions
back for all members. That is the only way we can stop privatisation, unsafe
work practises, the huge downsizing that is going on in StateRail, and the
bargaining away of all of our conditions.
The public is not benefitting from the present situation at all. Take the
case of CountryLink, they have no spare engines  and the ones that they do
have are being run into the ground. Maintenance is minimal due to cutbacks
at the workshops and contracting out of services. XPT's are regularly
running very late.  Who suffers? Railworkers and the general public do.
Later on this year we intend to hold a few forums and fightback meetings of
union members to let the unions know that we are not going to accept any
more sellouts.
In the meantime support us in the elections for the few unfilled positions
which will come up for grabs in the PTU in April.