Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

Krel wrote in message <36c34dfb.3321269@news.netconnect.com.au>...
>This is another of those things that depend opn wher you first learnt
>signalling. NSW people will swear that their system is best; Vic
>people will swear that theirs is.

Actually, both systems have their deficiencies. American "Speed" signalling
is used in Vic and SA (except TransAdelaide). British "Route" signalling is
used in Qld, Adelaide, WA and Tas. NSW uses .... well .. the system they
invented, I guess. Speed signalling in its basic form does not tell the
driver where he is going if the medium aspect applies to more than one
route. Route signalling conversely does not indicate speed. V/Line is taking
the initiative by introducing route indicators where medium speed aspects
apply to more than one route. So far, I have seen them at Laverton, Richmond
and Caulfield. Smaller stencil indicators have been in use for some time now
but are small and hard to see at a distance.

In QR, the only way to slow a train down for a turnout is to fool the driver
into thinking he is approaching a stop signal by show a yellow prior to the
turnout signal. Naturally, the driver, on seeing a yellow, will slow his
train. Trouble is, familiarity breeds contempt and before you know it ....
SPAD.