Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

MarkBau1 wrote:

> <<<<<<<> The whole mess could be resolved by simply going back to the way Vic 3
> pos.
> > signals were supposed to work in the first place.
>
> When and what do you mean in the first place.????>>>>>>>
>
> When 3 position signalling was first used in Victoria the circular announcing
> its introduction stated that top lights were for straight moves, botton lights
> for diverging moves etc. This was the case until "speed signalling" was
> introduced about 10 years later.

You may correct me if i'm wrong but 3 position signals were brought in under
circular C.8/15 Sept 1915 I am not sure when they were first used but I believe it
could have been between Richmond and Sth Yarra in Oct 1915.     The 1919 book of
Rules and Regs in clause 56 shows the rules regarding 3 position signals as speed
signaling. Was the description  not copied from the R .S .A Principles of Signal
Indication (1906) and Signaling Practice As Defined (R.S.A 1913) Incorporated  in
the report of the committee on Transportation of The American Railway Association
May 1911.