Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

<<<<<<You may correct me if i'm wrong but 3 position signals were brought in
under
circular C.8/15 Sept 1915 I am not sure when they were first used but I believe
it
could have been between Richmond and Sth Yarra in Oct 1915.     The 1919 book
of
Rules and Regs in clause 56 shows the rules regarding 3 position signals as
speed
signaling.>>>>>>>

You are correct, it took VR only 4 years (not 10 as I stated) to mess up a
perfectly good system. Actually, I think its a bit odd that they didn't go for
a form of proper speed signalling in the 1st place. (Was pommy 4 aspect speed
signalling invented by this time?)

Mark.

Visit my train pic website at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~markbau/