Re: Crossing loop design (r.e. Southern Aurora crash)

Simon L wrote:

> This raises an question of interest, namely what signaling schemes are used in Aus.
>
> NZ uses speed signaling after the finest British tradition, namely:
>
> Signal masts have two sets of lamps. Upper unit indicates full speed, and lower unit
> indicates so called medium speed.  While this scheme by definition doesn't actually
> tell you where you are going in practice it is setup in conjunction with the points
> so if they are set for the main line you get the top unit and if set for the loop
> you get the lower unit.  Basically the combinations you get are:
>
> Green over Red - Full speed
> Yellow over Red - Full speed but be prepared to stop at next signal
> Red over Green - Medium speed
> Red over Yellow - Medium speed but be prepared to stop at next signal
> Red over Red - Stop

Ahhh, it is Victorian signalling (a little simplified - we have more aspects...)

> Therefore you get an indication of where you are going, what speed you should be
> doing, and how far you can go before you have to stop (assuming you know how far
> away the next signal is and if you don't then what are you doing in the cab).

And you can tell more than one signal back what is going to happen next...

--
Thanks, Tony.

"I put the fun in dysfunctional."

Oh no!! My Homepage address... what is it????

It's here: Railpix - Australian Railway Photography.
            http://railpix.freeservers.com