Re: Vline sale Assetts.

In article <36c05f75.1718877@news.enternet.com.au> steam4me@enternet.com.au (Yuri J Sos) writes:
>From: steam4me@enternet.com.au (Yuri J Sos)
>Subject: Re: Vline sale Assetts.
>Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 13:59:23 +1000

>dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote, and I selectively
>quote:

>> Gs and Ns - they are owned by a
>>Japanese leasing company (ditto the B2 trams).

>If the Gs are leased, why have VLF and NR been fighting over the 7 or
>so since the formation of NR?  IIRC all interstate locos running on
>the changeover day were to become part of NR's fleet but AFAIK VLF
>wasn't happy about that arrangement and wanted them back apparently
>with legal eagles being consulted on both sides.

>AIUI all the Gs except G522 have now been returned to VLF and legal
>action has ceased (G522 probably hasn't been run into the ground
>enough....g,d,r,vvf).

>Regards

>Yuri
>--
>==================================
>Yuri J Sos
>Melbourne VIC AUS

>Reply to: steam4me@enternet.com.au

>Web site at http://people.enternet.com.au/~steam4me
>Steam Media Productions: http://people.connect.net.au/~steam
>Latest production "1997 - The Victorian Year in Steam" now available
>==================================

Thanks guys, I am trying to get some idea of where the potential sale value of
$100 million is coming from .
Given that ASR paid only $57 million for AN which included 29 modern re built
locos CLFs/CLPs and ALFs , plus a heap of older locos , as well as a heap of
rolling stock ,plus a 50  year exclusive lease for all the SA track minus the
interstate bit , one wonders where the $100 million value in Vline freight is
, if it doesnt include at least the Gs .
The Vline lease is only for 15 years and isnt exclusive , ie the buyer will be
required to share track with a pass operator,at a price determined by the
Regulator General.
Even with all the Gs included, it seems to me that $100 million is a bit over
the top.Vline freight made a loss last year of 15 million, mainly attributed
to a reduced wheat harvest.
Although the wheat harvest will no doubt improve , its doubtful whether alone
this will make the overall operation highly profitable, given that about half
the total wheat harvest comes from the western area of Victoria and has to be
hauled at least as far as Maroona along ARTCs track which no doubt the new
operator will have to pay track access charges for.

Does the sale include closed rail alignments ?
ie could the new operator if they so chose re rail Leongatha to Yarram for
example?, or even go to Woodside ??

cheers
MD