Re: Concord West Derailment

In article <36BC50B6.872710AE@ozemail.com.au>,
  trainman@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> Tony Gatt wrote:
*snip*

> > Which carriage caused a fracture of the rail?
>
> Probably the first, as it was the first car that dug in to the embankment
causing it to
> be twisted 180 degrees to the direction it was facing by the movement of the
second
> car.

Now we are getting more toward what it should be..  PROBABLY..

> > Was it a fracture or was it a break?
>
> Yes.

Clever boy!

I think
> of the classic line in Under Siege 2 "Assumption is the mother of all
f***ups".

Couldn't agree more :)

*snip again*

> I am merely providing another theory as to what might have happened.  What I
posted are
> my beliefs, and are possibilities.  I don't see what you hope to gain by being
nasty
> about it.  Were you at the accident site to see it for yourself?

No I wasn't. Derailment sites are tresspass zones, wouldn't find me near one
without permission.

not being nasty David, Just trying to point out a little something I think you
have answered yourself.. read on..

> I know many
> people who do not believe that the 1990 3801 accident was caused by sand.
>These are ill-informed people claiming they know something that the SRA
>engineers do not. (People who were not at the accident site, mind you.)

Ahhh, I think it was that last comment, not by any means infering that someone
of you high standard of knowledge would ever be ill informed, but one would be
assuming that you know something that others don't...

and just back tracking, about the last couple of cars not being derailed...
in the Rockbank Steel train derailment, the derailed train consisting of 14
wagons came to a stop some distance from the original derailment point, which
was marked by a peice of rail - 6ft or more in length being broken out.
The last 2 wagons were still on the track, but the 12 wagons in front of them
were sprawled all over the place..

Sometimes things don't follow the logical pattern.

maybe the driver could tell us what really happened...