Re: Violet Town

krel4203@netconnect.com.au (Krel ) writes: >
On Wed, 03 Feb 1999 08:53:36 GMT, march@pip.com.au wrote:
<snip>
 Driver Rosevear (of the goods) ran into the engineroom and was caught in the
> fire. Fireman Brendecke jumped about 60 feet before impact.

I seem to recall a story that after the fireman jumped,
and rolled some distance, he heard the collision, and,while lying face down
on the ground, had an airborne S class land a few feet away from him!
Possibly exaggerated by retelling, but you would think this would
have traumatised him for life.

I wonder will the media commemorate the anniversary. (Darren?) I still
have a copy of the Aust Womens Weekly published at the time, which
featured some dramatic colour photos of the burning wreckage ,
taken by a travelling salesman who was paralleling the train
on the Hume Highway when the collision occurred.

Regards,

Paul Hogan