Re: Violet Town

On 4 Feb 1999 05:25:47 GMT, markbau1@aol.comQQQQyuk (MarkBau1) wrote:

>Could be time to get the real story now. Old retired drivers all have
>different ideas up here in the NE.
>
>Some people say that going back into the cars was a common occurance for the
>fireman (to get stuff from the dining car) but others dismiss that theory
>because on the up the neon "Aurora" sign prevented going from the loco to the
>cars.

AIUI in the days before MotoRail the neon sign traveled on the rear of
the rear van both ways. After MotoRail was introduced (1970?) it
traveled on the rear from Melbourne to Albury and Sydney to Albury
only.

>I find it hard to believe that he was on the loco when it crashed, but I guess
>we'll never know!

It is difficult to believe; but Repairer M. Mulderay stated that as
the loco of the Aurora passed him (160 yds on Melb side of Violet Town
station) he waved to someone in the right hand seat who waved back to
him. Nevertheless there has always been lots of rumours about filling
the billy from the dining car. You are probably right - we'll never
know.

Cheers

Krel

Just another eccentric crank.