Delay at Mortdale on Wed morning

This morning after boarding my usual train at Oatley (7:32 to city) we
only got as far as the Mortdale carriage sheds when we came to a stop.
After a couple of minutes, the guard (I pressume) came over the PA in
very clear and understandable English to advise that someone in the
train in front had collapsed and they were waiting for medical help to
arrive and that we would be delayed for some time. He apologised for the
delay. About 10 mins later he updated the message and finally after
about 25 mins he advised that the train in front was moving and that we
would shortly follow which we did. What was so refreshing was being
correctly informed on what was going on - I overheard a number of
passengers also commenting favourably on this action. It makes a delay
so much bearable when you know what is going on.
What was also of interest was the use of the bi-directional signalling.
I guess we were too close to the train in front to be able to cross over
but at least 4 trains overtook our train using the down line. The
opportunity to take advantage of the opposite track would have reduced
the delays to the other trains at least to a minimum and kept the system
running reasonably smoothly.
Overall one of my better observations of the professionalism of State
Rail.

Graham Fry