Victoria is a Short Line (Was Re: Two Melbourne accidents)

"Reuben Farrelly" <reuben@mira.AA.net> wrote, and I selectively quote:

>Rail can only reasonably compete with road on the basis that
>it can haul cargo and huge quantities of goods for a long way at very low
>cost.  (Rail being a very low friction means of movement is mainly why it
>can do this).  For short distances, the cost of handling goods for unloading
>and loading must far outweigh any savings made by energy efficiency.

Depends on how short a short distance is.

I seem to remember Mr Xxxx Claytor (CEO of the RailAmerica Corp
bidding for VLF) commenting at the large number of industries along
railway lines without a rail siding or where a rail siding has been
removed.  I gather his opinion was that there was a huge untapped
market here waiting to be exploited (reminds me of the story about the
two shoe salesmen sent to Africa at the turn of the century: one
cabled back to head office "No-one wears shoes here.....coming home"
while the other salesman cabled his office "No-one wears shoes
here.....send me shoes" - the difference between government and
privately run railways is similar).

VLF, apart from its bulk grain shipping is essentially a shortline,
which I would imagine is why US-based successful shortline companies
such as WC and G&Y are interested in using their expertise to grow the
market here.  WC has made a profit in Tasmania: I don't imagine any
line in Tassie could be called long haul/huge quantities.

MarkBau1, feel free to jump in here with your US experience of
shortlines.

Regards

Yuri
--
Yuri J Sos

Reply to: steam4me@enternet.com.au

Web site at http://people.enternet.com.au/~steam4me
Steam Media Productions: http://people.connect.net.au/~steam
Latest production "1997 - The Victorian Year in Steam" now available