Re: Major error in AMRM NSW passenger carriage colour articles.

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:19:43 +1100, Craig Warton <Craigw@Wolf.net.au>
wrote:

>steamhead@webtel.net.au wrote:
>

>> Original post below:
>>
>> In the recent series of articles by John Beckhaus I have noticed a
>> major error in the description  of the colour used for the 1954 colour
>> scheme. John believes the colour used is Indian Red (BS449?). The
>> officials may have refered to this colour, but this colour was not
>> used generally in NSW until about 1972. This is well remembered by
>> myself, the introduction of the NSW 442 class the first example.
>
>Terry,
>
>Your memory in this case is a little off I am afraid. Aside from the
>article which was published in AMRM, I also have unpublished notes from
>David Cooke which includes correspondence from the mechanical branch.
>Simply put, in 1954 the decision was made to change to the use of deep
>Indian Red.

Were is the verifable evidence of Deep indian red being used? It
simply was not the colour for the 1954 colour scheme. You are
confusing  Brand names with the British Standard names incorrectly.
The NSWGR indian red of the 1954 colour scheme is a very close match
to NSWGR Tuscan Red. The difference between these paints when new out
of the workshop was only the difference in the ability of the people
who mixed the paint to get it close to the standard they were working
to, which appears to be British Standard Venitian red. Craftsman
Models NSWGR Tuscan colour sample was matched off a RTM preserved
coach, most likely in the 1954 colour. The Craftsman Models Indian Red
was matched to the 1972 colour schems which matches British standard
Indian Red, a horrible colour to match the horrible reverse colour
scheme.
Many of my friends can remember quite clearly the 1972 introduction of
British standard Indian red, not just me.
Supporting the verifiable colour sample, simply look up the colour
plate of 3528  on Cowan Bank in the Book, Steam in the Fifties by
R.Selems. Sorry, he does not include page numbers. You will note, a
clean   set of carriages in the 1954 colour scheme, 2 russet and red
carriages and a dark coloured dogbox. The dogbox could be a 1939
Indian Red scheme or a verry dirty dogbox. Note the new 1954 colour
scheme is not darker than the clean tuscan and russet dogbox. Note
also the other weathered tuscan colour. All in the same print, similar
lighting. It does show a large variation in colour after some
weathering.

>From looking through photo albums I do agree with your remarks about the
>thickness of lines - the top line does appear to be thinner, although I
>do not see the point to your rather snided references to magazine
>"experts". I do not claim to be an expert at anything and I have not
>heard any other people connected with the magazine say they are
>AMRM is trying to change, to become a better magazine - but it takes
>time. The only attempt to change history is coming from you.
>
>Regards,
>
>Craig Warton

Nothing snide about AMRM experts, I make no apology for evelating
members of the team to expert status. Unfortinately, the numerous
errors are the fault of the AMRM dictator, who knows all, and  always
shields such articles from experts who can get it right. When  proven
wrong , the AMRM dictactor simply closes further discussion on the
subject in the magazine. Bad luck for the AMRM dictator, he has lost
control of the model railway media now, and will need to start
listening to his expert team to survive.
Terry Flynn

For up to date HO scale model railway standards go to
http://www.freeyellow.com/members/trainstandards/index.html
Includes extra finescale standards improved P87 and correct wagon weight formulae.