Re: Adelaide - how to notify train control about vehicles passing failed crossing boomgates

Camelotswamp <camelotswamp@aol.com> wrote in message
19991229192158.05167.00001265@ng-ff1.aol.com">news:19991229192158.05167.00001265@ng-ff1.aol.com...
> On the afternoon of Christmas day 1999 the Frederick Road crossing on the
> Grange line had the boomgates down with the lights and bells operating,
and
> vehicles had taken to zigzaging past the boomgates. The line has East
Grange
> station a short distance west of the crossing, and a curve east of the
crossing
> which would obscure the crossing from trains approaching from the east.

Can I tell you all this and it may save your life, or at least a hefty fine!
In Victoria, and I presume most other States.
It is the responsibility of the Railways Authority to arrange to fix the
Crossing as soon as possible
It's the responsibility of the State Police Force to control the Failed
crossing, if any danger exists, despite the fact that they cannot wave any
cars across this crossing [see below]
It is the responsibility of Motorists to find another way across the
railway!
You must not cross the line unless you are authorised by a competent Railway
Employee or Policeman, who is in direct contact with Train Control, or the
local signalman, if any, to enable them to know when it is safe to allow
vehicles to cross
Rod