[NSW](lengthy) CityRail & related predictions for 2000

Eric Cartman<ERK_CARTMAN@YAHOO.COM wrote in
message<DLD84.63$VD.8088@NSW.NNRP.TELSTRA.NET ...
>I believe a derailment is planned for the 29/12 and the cleanup will extend
>onto the 30/12............who knows? I know I don't.
>
>Eric

Well, that prediction didn't seem to come off! The only way to get away with
predictions is to make loads of them, and hope one is correct!

After 6 months observing CityRail and reading all the *facts* in aus.rail,
I'm as unqualified as anyone to extrapolate the worst of 1999's stories into
some CityRail (and related) predictions for the final year of the second
millenium.

Here goes ...

JANUARY
* Train services after New Year's Eve celebrations run successfully.
Particularly pleasing is the patience shown by the 200,000 passengers who
queue outside Circular Quay station from 00:30 to 01:15 while 17 "Ghost
Trains" rumble overhead.
* At 11:00 AEDT on 1 January, barrier indicators at Town Hall commence to
show expected departures for March 1932. At about 11:15, there are problems
at ticket barriers with tickets expired on 01/01/1900. Transport Minister
unavailable for comment. Premier's office attacks media for "Y2K
scare-mongering".
* 'T' set skids through catch points at "Sydney Electric" platform 22. Rail
Unions attack SRA over lack of training for crews, call for Royal Commission
into Rail Safety (and job preservation). John Laws says a truck driver
wouldn't have done it. aus.rail debates whether truck drivers should have
catch points.
* SRA spokesman denies reports of Y2K bugs in new Countrylink booking
system. Admits that automatic barriers at stations have some "teething
problems".
* Child wanders onto track at level crossing near Yennora and is,
regrettably, killed by a passing train. SRA immediately announces that
CityRail has no faulty fences. Transport Minister reveals that CityRail has
no fences and promises full and wide-ranging enquiry into RAC's fences.
FEBRUARY
* FreightCorp enjoying a record wheat harvest. Several ex-NSWGR diesels
hired back from museums for three months. Announces that, since customer
service is paramount, the business will expand to include road and possibly
shipping operations since its rail services are "flat out".
* Daily Terrorgraph reports that CityRail passengers no longer bother to buy
tickets. SRA spokesman denies this, but admits computer reports of ticket
sales have been delayed.
* Transport Minister announces creation of new Rail Fencing Authority,
appoints former MP as chairman. "A new and positive initiative which is part
of our full commitment to Rail Safety". All CityRail sites will be
surrounded with razor wire to stop children straying.
* RAC / RSA plan Easter shutdowns to remove redundant crossovers at
Strathfield and re-rail on Cowan Bank. All services to be diverted via
Bankstown or replaced by buses. "Removal of the old crossovers from the
steam days will substantially reduce maintenance costs and enhance rail
safety", a CityRail spokesman added.
* Chaos as all underground stations closed without notice at 11:00 AEDT on
Tuesday 29 February. A CityRail spokesman afterwards announces this was an
"Olympics Security Exercise". Minister denies any connection with Y2K.
Opposition Leader calls for full and exhaustive enquiry. Town Hall barrier
indicators removed.
MARCH
* Energy Minister re-releases government's "Green Power" initiatives
("tilting at windmills"). Daily Terrorgraph runs story based on interviews
with drivers "too frightened to give their names" about under-utilised 86
class locomotives. Transport Minister announces full and wide-ranging
enquiry.
* Premier announces that CityRail travel will be free until Easter, because
of unforseen maintenance difficulties with the ticketing system. Opposition
Transport spokesman says this is unfair to people who don't travel by train.
aus.rail contributors debate this equity issue.
* 'K' set passes signal at danger at Wollstonecraft. No damage. No injuries.
TV crew making low-budget drama to be called 'Day of the Geraniums' films
event and it leads the Channel 10 “news”. Rail Unions attack SRA over lack
of training for crews. Alan Jones calls for Royal Commission into Rail
Safety. aus.rail posters argue about the set number at the rear of the
train.
* Sydney - Melbourne XPTs reported booked out from August to October. SRA
says "a good commercial result". New Opposition Leader says government
"denying pensioners access to the 'People's Olympics'". Olympics Minister
promises "Pensioner Buses". ORTA begins buying up ex-Sydney double-deck
buses and planning Wagga - Homebush Bay shuttle of pensioner buses.
* ORTA announces that 300 buses will be on standby at Olympic Park in case
there is a derailment during the Easter Show.
APRIL
* New Airport rail line has final tests. Introduction of service delayed
until after the Easter Show.
* FreightCorp issues press release highlighting modern “ready power” fleet
and describing 86 class electrics as "antiquated", pointing out that they
had been running "since the old red rattlers were in service".  Press kit
includes a photo of an 85 and a garratt on a tour.
* The only two passengers on the Good Friday overnight Explorer to Moree
find that their seat is double-booked. As they are both aus.rail
contributors they conduct their argument through this ng rather than in
person.
* Strathfield shutdown is modified to allow Easter Show trains to run on
Main Line. CityRail has difficulties with disobedient City - Strathfield -
Lidcombe passengers sneaking onto Show trains instead of meekly catching
their buses. Several customers are arrested and interrogated after failing
to alight from trains at Olympic Park. They were able to explain that the
train had been indicated at Sydney "Steam Platforms" as "Blacktown".
* The Main North shutdown carries Newcastle passengers by train to Ashfield,
by bus to Rhodes, by train to Berowra, by bus to Woy Woy, by train to
Newcastle (and by boat to Wondabyne). Direct Sydney - Woy Woy bus service
not possible due to ORTA Easter Show hiring of every possible bus.
Opposition Leader claims this is "torture inflicted on the voters by an
uncaring and out-of-touch government". SRA states that maintenance is
essential to rail safety. Olympics Minister and Transport Minister begin
public feud over bus priorities.
* Easter Show train delayed 90' at Olympic Park due to PMT. Relief driver
moves train, but is placed on leave and counselled for his lack of
commitment to EEO principles. Standby buses continue to wait for a
derailment.  aus.rail contributors exchange many notes on what the relief
driver said, or might have said, or should have said.
MAY
* New Airport rail line ready. Introduction of service delayed due to
timetable printing problems. New Opposition Transport spokesman calls for
outsourcing of printing.
* Train hauled by 3801 misrouted at Turrella. Due to approach locking, sent
through via Airport as first passenger train on the line. aus.rail posting
brings a reply from Victoria claiming that this is totally uninteresting,
and another 73 saying "me too!".   All replies include the full text of the