> >From: "nobody" <dweebken@NOSPAM.yahoo.com>
> >Subject: Re: Junee derailment.
> >Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 07:55:08 +1100
>
> >They say the container was only held by one of four bolts. This could
have
> >been worn over time and may have cracked just before arrival at Junee.
thats
> >the only logical explanation I can think of. I'm pretty convinced from
> >photos that it wasnt really infrastructure (this time).
>
> The containers aren't held on with bolts, they use a twistlock system
which
> locks into the bottom of the container. If these aren't fully locked in
place
> the container could go some distance with out moving.
>
> Dave Malcolm

NRC had a spate of these a few years ago, containers moving in traffic.

The twistlocks can work loose if not secured properly, likewise its a very
easy thing for a someone along the way (whilst a train sits in a siding
crossing trains) to unlock a few if they know what they are doing, (and most
vandals could workout how to do it). Then again, it may have been missed
during train examination?? Who knows??

Bob.